Saturday 2 June 2018

Has Your Ostomy Bag Been Limiting You?

I have always been a huge fan of the outdoors. Growing up in rural west Michigan has given me plenty of opportunities to go out and explore the outdoors and to really get in touch with nature. I really enjoy backpacking across the state on different trails and paths, as well as taking day trips to the sand dunes bordering Lake Michigan. Truly, some of my favorite memories are ones that were made on the beautiful west side of the state; sleeping bear dunes, traverse city, camping on Lake Michigan - you name it. 



After some complications with my colon related to a cancerous tumor, I found myself sitting in a doctor's office waiting for some critical news. I came to find out that I would need to be wearing an ostomy bag for the foreseeable future. My friends and family were very supportive during this time, and even sat with me over long periods of times in the waiting room while we were still waiting to hear back on everything. Immediately after getting the news about my ostomy, I was concerned with how my life would change going forward. Am I going to be able to eat the same foods that I normally eat? How will this affect my social life and my interactions with others? Will people be able to tell I have an ostomy simply by looking at me? My worst fears and nightmares all began to rush through my mind at once. I was not ready for this change and I did not ever think I would find myself in this position.


Another huge concern of mine was how my ostomy would affect my love of the outdoors. I was concerned that I wouldn’t be able to go on hikes like I used to, especially overnight backpacking trips in more remote areas. What if there were complications related to the ostomy bag and things went poorly? I also really enjoy the beach, and I began to think about how maintaining my life as a beach-going Michigander might become much more difficult with the addition of my new medical status. Sand and water do not seem to be a good combo when one has a stoma in their abdomen. I spent many months in distress and disarray about the way this procedure would affect my life and how difficult it would be to adjust to this new lifestyle.


I decided that I would like to continue my hobby of enjoying the outdoors as much as possible. Sure, I might be limited in some ways, but I was determined to adapt my lifestyle in a way that made it possible for me to spend more time outdoors. I looked for activities that were doctor approved and would not have a negative impact on my ostomy bag. Simple things like walking and biking are very doable and do not cause any strain on my stoma. I have also discovered a new love for water activities like canoeing and kayaking, which is something that I had not been super interested in before my procedure. I also began to spend more time fishing, wood working, and whittling as a way to further connect myself with nature. Sure, things have slowed down a bit, but I have found that life with an ostomy is not so bad. In fact, I still very much enjoy all of what life has to offer me.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Does An Ostomy Mean The End Of Your Life

Medical procedures can be a really scary thing, especially if you are not totally sure what exactly it is that you are getting yourself into...